10 things you need to know about organising meetings…
Ask yourself why are you having a meeting – what is the aim?
- Don’t simply have regular meetings for the sake of it
- Internal planning? Information sharing? Client visit? Required for regulatory purposes? HSE, QA standard, Corporate Responsibility, charity fundraising, wedding planning, etc
- Prepare from a template
- Get agreement on a draft and send it out in advance …ideally not on the day before the meeting...although don't be disappointed to find that most had barely read it in advance.
Who needs to be there?
- In advance, ensure key people can make it.
- Can they make it, if not in person, by dial-in?
- Make available: minutes of previous meetings, outstanding actions, additional information that needs dealing with, reports, budgets, accident reports etc.
Don’t forget to order refreshments or lunch!
Part 2 ...The Agenda and avoiding the hidden agenda.